Fermentation Microbiology and Biotechnology, 4th Edition explores and illustrates the broad array of metabolic pathways employed for the production of primary and secondary metabolites, as well as biopharmaceuticals. This updated and expanded edition addresses the whole spectrum of fermentation biotechnology, from fermentation kinetics and dynamics to protein and co-factor engineering. It also sheds light on the new strategies employed by industrialist for increasing tolerance and endurance of microorganisms to the accumulation of toxic wastes in microbial-cell factories. The new edition builds upon the fine pedigree of its earlier predecessors and extends the spectrum of the book to reflect the multidisciplinary and buoyant nature of this subject area.
- Covers the whole spectrum of the field from fermentation kinetics to control of fermentation and protein engineering.
- Includes case studies specifically designed to illustrate industrial applications and current state-of-the-art technologies.
- Presents the contributions of eminent international academics and industrial experts.
- Offers new chapters addressing:
- The prospects and the role of bio-fuels refineries,
- Control of metabolic efflux to product formation in microbial-cell factories and
- Improving tolerance of microorganisms to toxic byproduct accumulation in the fermentation vessel.